Originally named Slate Creek, Coldfoot reportedly got its name in 1900 when gold prospectors traveled up the Koyukuk to this point, then got "cold feet," turned around, and departed. In 1902, Coldfoot had two roadhouses, two stores, seven saloons and a gambling house. A post office was established in 1902 and was discontinued in 1912, when the mine and town was abandoned for other mines in Nolan and Wiseman Creeks to the north.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development