The History of Cohoe

Cohoe is located on the Kenai Peninsula on the Kasilof River, 13 miles south of the City of Kenai on the Sterling Highway. It lies at approximately 60 22' N Latitude, 151 18' W Longitude. The community is located in the Kenai Recording District. The area encompasses 27 sq. miles of land and 122 sq. miles of water.

Victor Holm constructed a cabin in Cohoe in 1890. Holm sailed from Finland to Alaska to make his home. The cabin and many of Holm's handmade items still remain; the cabin is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Cohoe was originally an agricultural settlement where a post office was established in 1950.


To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online


History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development