The site was named in 1886 by Lt. Comdr. A.S. Snow, USN, for Lt. Dewitt Coffman, a member of his party. Coffman Cove was first settled as a logging camp in the 1950s. Land was made available for private ownership through selection under the Alaska Statehood Act, and the city incorporated in 1989.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development