The Kauwerak Eskimos in this area lived in migratory communities in pursuit of hunting and fishing grounds, and traded furs with Siberia, Little Diomede and King Island. They formed alliances with Wales, Little Diomede and others for protection. The "Teller Reindeer Station" opened near this site in 1892; it was operated by the U.S. government until 1900. A Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Mission was constructed at the present site in 1900, and the village became known as Teller Mission. In 1903, the Brevig Mission post office was established, named after the Rev. T.L. Brevig, an early pastor at the mission. Reindeer were the economic base of this community until 1974, but the industry has since declined.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development