The History of Big Lake

Big Lake is a community on the shore of Big Lake, 13 miles southwest of Wasilla and 18 miles north of Anchorage, in the Chugach Mountains. It lies at approximately 61 33' N Latitude, 149 52' W Longitude (Sec. 28, T017N, R003W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Palmer Recording District. The area encompasses 133 sq. miles of land and 13 sq. miles of water.

The name was obtained in 1958 by the U.S. Geological Survey; the community was established in the late 1950s. In June 1996, the "Miller's Reach" wildfire destroyed more than 37,500 acres in the Big Lake and Houston area, including 433 buildings and homes valued at $8.9 million.


To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online


History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development