The History of Anchor Point

The community is located on the Kenai Peninsula at the junction of the Anchor River and its north fork, 14 miles northwest of Homer. It lies at approximately 59 46' N Latitude, 151 49' W Longitude (Sec. 04, T005S, R015W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Homer Recording District. The area encompasses 21 sq. miles of land and 4 sq. miles of water.

In the summer of 1778 Captain James Cook and crews of the Resolution and Discovery sailed into the Inlet looking for a Northwest Passage, and gave Anchor Point its name after losing a kedge anchor to the awesome tidal currents. A post office was established in 1949.


To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online


History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development