Nunamiut bands left the Brooks Range and scattered due to the collapse of caribou in 1926-27, and also because of cultural changes brought by the influx of western civilization. In 1938, however, several Nunamiut families left the coast and returned to the mountains at Killik River and Chandler Lake. In 1949, the Chandler Lake group moved to Anaktuvuk Pass ("the place of caribou droppings"), where they were later joined by the Killik River group. This settlement attracted Nunamiut from many other locations, and villagers today lead a somewhat more sedentary lifestyle than in earlier nomadic times. A Presbyterian Church was constructed in 1966.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development