The History of Ambler
Ambler is located on the north bank of the Kobuk River, near the confluence of the Ambler and the Kobuk Rivers. It lies 138 air miles northeast of Kotzebue, 30 miles northwest of Kobuk and 30 miles downriver from
Shungnak. It lies at approximately 67° 05' N Latitude, 157° 52' W Longitude (Sec. 31, T020N, R005E, Kateel River Meridian). The community is located in the Kotzebue Recording District. The area encompasses 12 sq.
miles of land and 2 sq. miles of water.
Ambler was permanently settled in 1958 when people from Shungnak and Kobuk moved down stream because of the variety of fish, wild game and spruce trees in the area. An archaeological site is located nearby at
Onion Portage. A post office was established in 1963.
To Community Histories Index
Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development