In 1880, the village of "Ackiagmute" had a population of 175. The name Akiak means "the other side," since this place was a crossing to the Yukon River basin during the winter for area Eskimos. The Akiak post office was established in 1916. A U.S. Public Health Service hospital was built in the 1920s.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development