Photos of the Saint Mathew's Anglican Church Cemetery, Fort McPherson, NWT
Saint Mathew's Anglican Church Cemetery, Fort McPherson, NWT
The Lost Patrol
The most famous burials at Fort McPherson are the 4 members of the Royal Northwest Mounted Police "Lost Patrol". On December 21, 1910, RNWMP Inspector Francis Joseph Fitzgerald, with Constable Richard O'Hara Taylor, Constable George Francis Kinney and their guide, Special Constable Sam Carter, left Fort McPherson on a patrol to Dawson, but never arrived. Their bodies were found in March, 1911, and all four were buried here on March 28, 1911. In 1938, the graves were cemented over into one large tomb, with cement posts at the four corners connected by a chain.
This photo was shot in July 1991.
This photograph is © 1991-2017 by Murray Lundberg, and is not to be copied without express permission.