Soldotna, Alaska - a Community Guide
Soldotna is on the Kenai Peninsula, 150 highway miles south of Anchorage, at the junction of the Sterling and Kenai Spur Highways. It lies 10 miles inland from Cook Inlet, and borders
the Kenai River. It lies at approximately 60° 29' N Latitude, 151° 03' W Longitude (Sec. 32, T005N, R010W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Kenai Recording District.
The area encompasses 7 sq. miles of land and 1 sq. miles of water.
The Peninsula has historically been the home to Kenaitze Indians, and was developed by non-Natives for its rich resources, including fish, timber and oil. Soldotna was named for a
nearby stream; it is a Russian word meaning "soldier." Others believe it is derived from an Indian word meaning "stream fork." The first homesteaders were World War II veterans, given
a 90-day preference over non-veterans in selecting and filing for property in 1947. That same year, the Sterling Highway right-of-way was constructed from Cooper Landing to Kenai.
Soldotna was the site for the bridge crossing the Kenai River. A post office opened in 1949, with stores and a community center shortly thereafter. Soldotna continued to develop because
of its strategic location at the Sterling-Kenai Spur Highway junction. In 1957, oil was discovered in the Swanson River region, bringing new growth and development. Soldotna was
incorporated as a city in 1960.
To Community Histories Index
Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development