Point Hope is located near the tip of Point Hope peninsula, a large gravel spit that forms the western-most extension of the northwest Alaska coast, 330 miles southwest of Barrow. It lies at approximately 68° 21' N Latitude, 166° 47' W Longitude (Sec. 16, T034N, R035W, Kateel River Meridian).
The community is located in the Barrow Recording District. The area encompasses 6 sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.
Point Hope (Tikeraq) peninsula is one of the oldest continuously occupied Inupiat Eskimo areas in Alaska. Several settlements have existed on the peninsula over the past 2,500 years, including Old and New Tigara, Ipiutak, Jabbertown, and present Point Hope. The peninsula offers good access
to marine mammals, and ice conditions allow easy boat launchings into open leads early in the spring whaling season. The people were traditionally aggressive and exercised dominance over an extensive area, from the Utukok to Kivalina Rivers, and far inland. By 1848, commercial whaling activities
brought an influx of Westerners, many of whom employed Point Hope villagers. By the late 1880s, the whalers established shore-based whaling stations, such as Jabbertown. These disappeared with the demise of whaling in the early 1900s.
In the early 1970s the village moved to a new site just east
of the old village because of erosion and periodic storm-surge flooding. Most of the housing was moved on runners to the new site. New houses were constructed by the Borough and individuals.
To Community Histories Index
Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development