ExploreNorth, your resource center for exploring the circumpolar North

Return to the Home Page The ExploreNorth Blog Arctic & Northern Books About ExploreNorth Contact ExploreNorth

Search ExploreNorth



The History of Hope, Alaska


    Hope lies on the northern end of Kenai Peninsula, on the south shore of the Turnagain Arm of Cook Inlet. The community lies on the 17-mile Hope Highway, northwest of the Sterling Highway, near the mouth of Resurrection Creek. It lies at approximately 60 55' N Latitude, 149 38' W Longitude (Sec. 33, T010N, R002W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Seward Recording District. The area encompasses 48 sq. miles of land and 16 sq. miles of water.

    "Hope City" was a mining camp for Resurrection Creek, established in 1896. The Hope post office began operating in 1897. Portions of the town were destroyed in the 1964 earthquake.


To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online


History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development